Thursday, September 23, 2010

Upsy Daisy Throwdown


Yesterday, I spent some time catching up and creating with my stampin' pal, Dawn. Her mom is in town visiting and made a fabulous lunch for all of us, as well. Mmmmm! As an added bonus, I got some quality "cuddle time" with Dawn's 2 1/2 month old baby boy, which always makes me smile. :) We decided to try our hands at a couple of challenges today, since we always gain a ton of inspiration from them. I went with my usual "dynamic duo" consisting of a color challenge and a sketch challenge...it seems to work for me so why mess with a good thing, right?

When I saw this color combo over at The Color Throwdown blog, I was super excited to "throw it down". I love, love, LOVE Melon Mambo and Pacific Point is such an awesome, vibrant blue...but then there was River Rock, ugh! Try as I may, I just am perplexed by this color, perhaps I need to attempt to use it more frequently...it's just NOT my favorite. I think I have used 1/2 of a sheet of River Rock cardstock in over 2 years...
I recently heard about the Hand Stamped Sentiments Challenges from one of their DT member's (and fellow SU! demo), Genny, and decided to give it a go this week. Thanks, Genny and team for a fun sketch challenge! I was fun to participate with y'all for the first time . :) 
The floral image in the Upsy Daisy set is such a fun, bold silhouette on it's own. But I really wanted it to stand-out a little more on this card. So, I added some Dazzling Diamonds mixture (see below) to the image for sparkle. Thanks to Dawn for reminding me of this great technique, as I hadn't used it in a while. I'm adding instructions, in case someone out there hasn't tried it before. 

To achieve this look: 

-First, I wiped an Embossing Buddy over my Whisper White cardstock to catch any stray embossing powder.  
-Second, I used a Stamp-A-Ma-Jig to stamp my image in Melon Mambo on the white cardstock.
-Next, I cleaned my stamp, then re-inked it in Versa-Mark.
-Then, I used my Stamp-A-Ma-Jig to perfectly place my (Versa-Mark'ed) stamp over the existing (Melon Mambo) image on the cardstock. I chose to stamp it, just a wee bit off from the original image, for a little "shadow".
-After stamping, I sprinkled some Dazzling Diamonds embossing powder and Heat & Stick powder (50/50 mixture blended together...thanks Dawn for letting me use yours) over the image and heat embossed it. 
-Voila! Sparkly stamped SUCCESS! :)


I also decided to tie the hemp twine on through some eyelets, since just knotting it around the cardstock alone, was causing it to tear. Oops! Hope you like how it all came together. I'd love to hear what you think! :) 
 


Stampin' Up! Supply List:
Stamps: Upsy Daisy, Teeny Tiny Wishes
Ink: Melon Mambo and Pacific Point classic ink, Versa-Mark
Paper: Melon Mambo, Pacific Point, River Rock and Whisper White cardstock, Good Morning Sunshine DSP (retired) and Razzleberry Lemonade DSP (retired)
Accessories: Dazzling Diamonds embossing powder, Heat and Stick powder (blended together with Dazzling Diamonds), hemp twine, 1 3/8" x 5/8"Oval punch, 1 3/4" x 7/8" Oval punch, Crop-A-Dile
Non SU! Accessories: pink bling, (Dawn's) blue eyelets and blue ribbon 

Have a great day!
Until next time,

12 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! You rocked these colors! Thanks for joining us for the Color Throwdown!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your work is beautiful. I love how you embossed the Upsy Daisy. The shimmer is perfect. Thanks for sharing your talents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. STUNNING!!! Love those bright colors and you used one of my favorite sets. So pretty. I REALLY like the use of the eyelets! Inspires me to get mine out since I haven't used them in a while.
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is stunning, love the way you used those colours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Fantastic! I love Pacific Point, like melon mambo, and DREAD River Rock! LOL

    You did a great job...I'll have to try this color throwdown!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Upsy Daisy a favorite of mine and you made an amazing card with it. Love the colors and always love Dazzling Diamonds I so cannot have enough. It sounds like you had an awesome day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks even BETTER in person!! Great job on the challenges AM!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very pretty! I love the sparkle you added.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very pretty! Love all the sparkles! Thanks for playing the Color Throwdown!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely breathtaking - such a gorgeous embossing! Truly a vision and you are soooo creative with your cards, each one is a treat! I just noticed your little line up of "babies" and they are so adorable - nice to have the wonderful crafting muses!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anne,
    LOVE the effect of the sparkle. I am definitely trying out this technique. Your card is gorgeous! Thank you for joining us at Hand Stamped Sentiments this week. I hope you had fun.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! Love the bling. I never thought of using glitter with this image but you made it work. You also did a great job with the colors. Thanks for playing at Hand Stamped Sentiment.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment!
Have a great day! :)
Anne Marie