Friday, October 8, 2010

I'm Dreaming of a Green Christmas

I won't have to wish all that hard, though. Christmas is always green in Texas! :)


This week at The Paper Players, LeAnne and the fabulous design team gave the following challenge: 
"I am challenging you all this week to use Monochromatic colors in your creation....use different hues or shades of one color. It can be any color....just used varying shades of that color. Adding a neutral is okay, too!"

At first I was going to use reds...then oranges...then I saw a scrap of Old Olive card stock on my desk and *ta-da*, it was decided. I was "Going Green" for this challenge. Thanks to my trusty Color Coach, pairing my colors was a snap.
I busted out my Snow Swirled stamp set because I thought that the tree image would look awesome embossed in green. I used Old Olive craft ink and clear embossing powder to do that. I recently purchased some green bling in assorted sizes and decided it would be a great way to "decorate" the tree. 


For the background I used a swirl embossing folder on Certainly Celery card stock then brushed on some Platinum Shimmer Paint with a paintbrush. I love Shimmer Paints! I think they give such a quick and easy "pop" to any project. 
I wanted to dress up the Eyelet Border punch because it seemed a little boring on it's own. I wove some gold elastic cord through the top holes to create a "stitched effect", then more bling to the bottom holes in the punch. I really liked how it came out. For some final touches I added another strip of ribbon and then embossed the sentiment in gold and punched it out. 
I had to add this next photo because I thought that regular visitors to my blog would get a chuckle out of it. Looks like there is a new sheriff in town! My sweet (and usually more subdued) kitty, Tomas, decided to get in on the action earlier today while I was trying to take photos to post of the card. I guess he has had enough of Benny Max hogging the spotlight. HaHa! :)
Stampin' Up! Supply List: 
Stamps: Snow Swirled, Best Yet (retired)
Ink: Old Olive craft ink (tree) and Versa-Mark (sentiment)
Paper: Old Olive, Certainly Celery, Always Artichoke and Whisper White card stock
Accessories: Eyelet Border punch, 1 3/4" x 7/8" Oval punch, Scalloped Oval punch, Platinum Shimmer Paint, clear embossing powder, gold embossing powder, Gold Elastic Cord (retired), Mistletoe Ribbon (retired) and Stampin' Dimensionals
*Green bling and swirl embossing folder are non-SU!

Have a great day! 
Thanks for stopping by, 

23 comments:

  1. This is beautiful! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very splendid card. Love the scallop border.
    Kind regards
    Mayjasper

    ReplyDelete
  3. You always take my breath away! OH and look at who has come out of hiding to show his approval of your card!!! LOL

    Really, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Tomas is just showing his approval of this gorgeous card! Glad you went with the green....so pretty.
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! This is fabulous! Love the swirled embossing with the shimmer paint. Thanks for joining The Paper Players this week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your GREEN card...the shimmer paint added a beautiful sparkle and your gold cord stitching totally hit the mark! :)

    btw, are Tomas eyes green?? the card totally brings out the color of them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMGoodness, AnneMarie, Tomas is a hoot! Awesome job holding on to mommy's card, lol! Your car - WOW! Green is my favorite color so I'm always looking for ways to use green but my goodness this is stunning in every way! The swirled flourished background, the shimmery paper, stunning tree ..... absolutely outstanding! Have a blessed weekend! ::: purrs! ::::

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG, your kitty cats are just so cute and I am loving seeing them. They are so entertaining. Lovin' your card, it is gorgeous. How clever to weave the gold cord through the eyelet. The colors work so well together and just make that tree pop. Awesome job. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful! Green is my favorite color and you have created the perfect Christmas card. We experience a white Christmas, so enjoy your green one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG, where to start?! The shimmer, the embossing, the faux stitching...it is all just to die for! Gorgeous card. So glad you joined us at The Paper Players! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh wow, this is just gorgeous! I love what you did with the edge punch--I have that one and will definitely be decorating it up the way you have here, now that I see how wonderful it looks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love how you dressed up the side of the eyelet border punch! I have that, but never use it because it always seems to need something! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your work is amazing & this card is stunning. I love that you shared your cat helping you with the card! What beautiful furry friends you have! We have have 3 cats & one of them could very well be a Maine Coon (per the Vet); he weighs 17 lbs. Thanks for sharing your talent!

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW great card - it make me want to try new things - the cord, embossing using craft ink with clear powder, and the shimmer paint - that makes the textured background beautiful - congrats

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Anne Marie,
    I just LOVE your card and the sheen to it! That embossing folder and the stamp work perfectly together. Your kitty made me smile! Thanks for joining the Paper Players!!!
    Smiles,
    Lesley

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such and elegant feel to this holiday card with the image, shimmery paper and the way you decorated your border punch (how creative!).

    My cats often "help" with the photography too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is gorgeous!! Love how you threaded the gold twine through the holes on the punch. Stunning card and I love the kitty too :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just lovely - and I love how you stitched and blinged your way down the scallop border!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congrats on being named a Cut Above at The Paper Players!

    ReplyDelete
  20. this is so pretty! Sweet Kitty too! Mine always run off when I am trying to take their picture, but if I am taking a pic of a card, they suddenly want a photo shoot!

    ReplyDelete
  21. WOW....gorgeous card!
    www.scrapdiva-tina.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fabulous card! I love how you used just slightly varying shades of the same green. I'll have to go back to see how many you made of this spectacular card.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment!
Have a great day! :)
Anne Marie